This is what the fireplace looked like before we moved in. This fireplace gave off NO heat. It was warmer if we just had lit candles in it. And we had a chimney fire. So it was time for it to go. One day last October John and his buddy Jim took it out. That also included taking out the chimney. John had to patch the ceiling in the living room, the floor in my closet and the roof.
The only thing that we bought was the crushed rock/sand. I love it when you can successfully reuse something and be better for it.