4 sweet potatoes (2.5 lbs)
1T olive oil
4 slices of bacon
1 large onion chopped
1 large carrot peeled and shredded
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 2t adobo sauce
1 bay leaf
32 oz of chicken broth
1 c orange juice
maple syrup for drizzling
sour cream for topping
1. Peel and slice sweet potatoes 1 inch thick, boil with salt until tender. Drain and return to pot.
2. In pan add the 1T olive oil. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper-towel-lined plate.
3. Discard all but 2T of bacon fat. Add onion, carrot, chipote pepper, adobo sauce, bay leaf and cook until onions are soft. Stir in chicken broth, orange juice and cinnamon. Drizzle with maple syrup, season with pepper. Discard bay leaf.
4. Add the broth mixture to the sweet potatoes and puree with an immersion blender.
5. Serve soup with the sour cream and bacon on top.
I always adjust the seasonings to taste. I added more maple syrup and orange juice. Mine had a distinct sweet and spicy taste. It tastes like a bowl of Autumn. If your family likes more bland food omit the chipotle pepper.